I’ve received many calls within the past two weeks from panicky parents about kindergarten test prep. Applications, tours and interviews are in full swing for NYC kindergarten admission for the fall of 2012. A child takes kindergarten admission tests by a required date to complete the application process.
Some parents who have not yet provided kindergarten test prep are wondering what the best last minute activities are to prepare their child for kindergarten tests.
The skills required for kindergarten tests and the activities completed in my kindergarten prep sessions are best taught over a six to twelve month period. If its crunch time for your child, here are a few important kindergarten games to play and skills to build:
1. Help your child to sit and attend to books and games he or she will happily enjoy for about 60 minutes.
2. Teach your son or daughter to define everyday words. For example, “What is a cup?” or “What is a blanket?” Sometimes task directions require practice. Playing a vocabulary and word reasoning game such as Hedbanz can be motivating and make kindergarten test prep fun!
3. Block play – create a design or pattern with colored blocks or tiles. Have your child copy your design and you can copy your child’s. As bicolored blocks are used during testing, choose two colors of construction paper and cut out two triangles from at least eight 4×4 squares. Tape the triangles together to form bi-colored squares. Practice making larger triangles, stripes and larger squares with the bicolored squares. Try Pixy Cubes too.
4. Help your child understand analogies by talking about how and why things go together. Check out this analogy puzzle.
5. Make your child think! Ask open ended questions for your child to formulate meaningful verbal responses. For example, “Why is it important to brush your teeth?” “Why should you eat healthy food?”
As a parent myself, I know how it can be difficult to work with your own child. If you’re looking for guidance in helping your child get ready for kindergarten or for kindergarten test prep, please feel free to contact me and we can make a plan that’s a good fit for you and your child.
Stephanie Sigal works with children in their Upper East Side, Manhattan homes. firstname.lastname@example.org or 646-295-4473.